
Unbelievable New Orleans Getaway: Residence Inn Covington!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. We're diving headfirst into the Unbelievable New Orleans Getaway: Residence Inn Covington! And let me tell you, preparing this review feels less like writing a hotel critique and more like trying to herd cats while simultaneously juggling flaming torches and a plate of beignets. But hey, that's the New Orleans spirit, right? Let's get messy, honest, and maybe a little too enthusiastic, shall we?
SEO Optimized Keywords (Because, you know, gotta pay the bills): Residence Inn Covington, New Orleans getaway, accessible hotel, wheelchair accessible, free Wi-Fi, fitness center, swimming pool, breakfast buffet, pet-friendly hotel (if applicable), Covington Louisiana, hotel review, family-friendly hotel, business travel, extended stay, spa (nearby), Louisiana hotels.
The Unbelievable Truth About the Residence Inn Covington: A Rambling Review
Right, first off, let's get this out of the way: This isn't technically IN New Orleans. It's in Covington, Louisiana, which is across the lake. But hey, that's part of the getaway charm, isn't it? You can escape the French Quarter chaos, breathe some fresh air, and then bam! – you're back to Bourbon Street mayhem whenever you're ready.
Accessibility & All That Jazz (or rather, Brass Band):
Okay, so, important for the serious travelers amongst you. Accessibility is KEY. And from what I can gather, the Residence Inn Covington seems to be doing a decent job. Wheelchair accessible rooms are available (check availability directly, of course – always double-check!), and the reviews seem to hint at decent accessibility throughout the property. They list facilities for disabled guests, which is a good sign. The elevator is, thankfully, present. Now, I'm not a user of mobility aids, so I can't give a firsthand account. But I would recommend calling directly to confirm and get the nitty-gritty details. Don't assume! Always verify.
Fitness, Fun, and… Uh… Fitness?
Alright, the good stuff! Let's be real, we all pretend we're going to hit the Fitness center and then end up face-first in a plate of jambalaya. (No judgment, I'm right there with you.) But hey, intentions count! The swimming pool [outdoor] is practically mandatory in Louisiana. A Pool with a view? I can't say for sure (call to confirm), but it should have something nice to look at besides the parking lot, right? Otherwise, what is the POINT of a pool?! I hope there's a bar at the pool, even… a Poolside bar is a MUST!
They also have things like a gym/fitness center, which is the same thing as the fitness center probably.
Then there's this weird section on Spa, spa/sauna, steamroom… but it's not clear if these are on-site. Best to assume they're nearby and not actually in the hotel. So, don't get your hopes up for a hotel spa day. (But hey, it's a getaway! Splurge on a real spa day!)
Cleanliness, Safety, and… The Apocalypse?
Okay, in the post-pandemic world, this section is crucial. And thank goodness, the Residence Inn seems to be stepping up. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, rooms sanitized between stays, and Safe dining setup are music to my germaphobe ears (and probably yours too). Seeing Hand sanitizer everywhere is like a warm hug from the sanitation gods. The fact they offer Room sanitization opt-out available is a nice touch (because, you know, some people are all about the germy, un-sanitized life). They tout Staff trained in safety protocol, which is comforting. There's also the whole cashless payment service thing, which I feel is generally just a more… modern way of doing business. Check-in/out [private] and Check-in/out [express] are cool, but I'm assuming that's standard these days.
Food, Glorious Food (and the occasional Soup):
Breakfast, folks! The cornerstone of a good hotel stay. The Residence Inn usually boasts a Breakfast [buffet]. (My heart sings!) They are saying Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant but are you even looking for that on a getaway? I need Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant! I need fluffy scrambled eggs, bacon, and maybe some of those sad, delicious little breakfast potatoes. And of course, Coffee/tea in restaurant is a must. They state there's a Breakfast takeaway service, which is convenient for those hustling.
Beyond breakfast, you've got a Restaurants (plural, hopefully) and a Bar. Room service [24-hour] is basically a requirement for my sanity on vacation. A la carte in restaurant means you have choice, which is good. Desserts in restaurant is a great thing, and I'm always up for a Soup in restaurant. Salad in restaurant – gotta have your greens, even on a trip that is supposed to be unhealthy!
The Goodies: Services and Conveniences (And a Shrine?)
Okay, let's run through some of the fluff. Air conditioning in public area (duh), Business facilities (if you have to work, but honestly, don't!), Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Convenience store (hello, midnight snack runs!), Currency exchange (handy), Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator (already covered!), Facilities for disabled guests (again, good!), Food delivery (score!), Gift/souvenir shop (for the folks back home you have to bring something to), Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided (for the businessy types), Ironing service (wrinkles begone!), Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, and Xerox/fax in business center (are those even still a thing?). Oh, and Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site].
Wow. A shrine. Inside a Residence Inn. Now, that is something I need to investigate. I'll ask about that… if I'm ever in Covington, Louisiana.
For the Kids (And the Perpetually Childlike):
The Family/child friendly label is always welcome, because, yeah, vacationing with kids is a trip! (And by "trip," I mean a logistical puzzle you'll spend a week figuring out). They list Babysitting service, which is GOLD, and Kids meal, which, again, is good news. CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property which is probably great for safety.
Getting Around (Because You Need to Get Around):
They offer Airport transfer (check on that), Bicycle parking (okay, cool), Car park [free of charge] AND Car park [on-site] (the latter being helpful for on-site stuff), Car power charging station, Taxi service, and the holy grail of convenience: Valet parking! (Just be prepared to tip!)
The Room: Your Personal Fortress of Chill (or Chaos)
Okay, the rooms. Here's where things get interesting. They have Air conditioning (essential!), Alarm clock (yawn), Bathrobes (fancy!), Bathroom phone (why?), Bathtub (a must for some, a wasted space for others), Blackout curtains (thank the sweet baby Jesus), Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker (a lifeline!), Complimentary tea (nice touch), Daily housekeeping, Desk (sigh), Extra long bed (YES!), Free bottled water (always appreciated), Hair dryer (essential!), High floor (if you like it!), In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available (good for families or travel buddies), Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless (obviously), Ironing facilities (because wrinkles are the enemy), Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar (temptation!), Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies (binge alert!), Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator (for the snacks!), Satellite/cable channels, Scale (I choose not to see!), Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub (luxurious!), Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector (safety first!), Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing (peace!), Telephone (are those still a thing?), Toiletries, Towels,
Hammond's Hidden Gem: Fairfield Inn & Suites - Unbeatable Chicago Access!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This ain't your grandma's meticulously planned travel itinerary. This is a chaotic, probably-slightly-over-caffeinated dive into my… well, our (because, hey, sharing is caring, right?)… Residence Inn New Orleans Covington/North Shore adventure. Prepare for a bumpy ride.
The "I Swear I Know What I'm Doing (Mostly)" Travel Debacle - Covington Edition
Day 1: Arrival & the Quest for the Perfect Gumbo (Or At Least, Edible)
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Arrival Rhapsody (or, the Great Parking Lot Fiasco). Okay, so, driving into Covington, I was envisioning this smooth, coastal breeze, like a scene out of a movie. Nope. More like "Where do I even park? Is that a one-way street? Is the front desk even open?" I managed to find a spot, miraculously (and hopefully, legality), and stumbled into the Residence Inn lobby. The front desk guy looked like he'd seen a few things. You know, the kind of seen-a-few-things that says, "Honey, you're late."
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Settling In (and the Struggle to Unpack With Dignity). Room: decent. Bed: comfy-ish. I’d say the pillows were like a slightly underperforming cloud. First priority, unpack. Now, I am NOT a “fold-everything-perfectly” traveler. I’m more of a “stuff it in the suitcase and cross my fingers” kind of gal. This leads to the inevitable unpacking explosion. Clothes everywhere! Suitcase open like a bewildered maw. The struggle is real. My travel socks, a casualty of the mess, are currently hiding under the bed.
- 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Gumbo Hunt, Phase One (The Disappointing Appetizer). I, and I cannot stress this enough, require GUMBO. My soul demands it. Research promised "amazing gumbo" at a place called "The Barley Oak". I raced over, visions of steaming, spicy goodness dancing in my head. What I received, however, was a… thin, watery broth with surprisingly bland ingredients. I took one bite. I tried to smile. This, friends, this was a tragedy. I mean, I paid for this. And I felt, in that moment, a wave of pure, unadulterated disappointment wash over me. The joy of the road, the excitement of discovery? Gone. Replaced by lukewarm disappointment. I ordered a club sandwich instead. It was OK, but it wasn’t gumbo. I’ll probably try to avoid that place based on this alone.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Downtime and the Netflix Abyss. Post-gumbo-disappointment, I sank into the couch, feeling sorry for myself (and my stomach). Netflix and my phone were lifesavers. I’m currently in a "documentaries I only half-pay-attention-to" phase. The hotel room became my sanctuary, and I was happy there. Plus, I was able to mentally prepare for the next day’s food adventures.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner – the Great, Unexpected Redemption! I had accepted the fate of bad food for the first day. When I wandered into The Chimes, I was looking for nothing. Well, I got something. I ordered the crawfish étouffée. And wow. Just…wow. Rich, spicy, creamy, and delicious. This single dish single-handedly reversed my negative attitude. The staff was super friendly too, which didn't hurt at all.
Day 2: Exploring Covington (And My Increasingly Complex Relationship With Food)
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast Buffet Roulette (The Scramble for Eggs…and Maybe Some Fruit). Gotta love a hotel breakfast buffet. The food is questionable, the coffee is weak, but hey, it's free (or at least, included). I’m not a big breakfast person, but I was hungry. And I ended up with a plate of… well, let’s just say, the scrambled eggs were… orange-ish. The fruit was a sad assortment of slightly bruised melon and one very lonely banana. I ate it anyway.
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Covington Charm? (Or, a Wandering That Went Nowhere.) I decided to walk around Covington. I had no plan, which is usually a recipe for disaster. I mean, I walked around. I saw houses, some pretty churches, and a quaint downtown area. But honestly, there's only so much charm a girl can take before she starts craving… well, something more than quaint. I did discover a cool little coffee shop, though.
- 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Lunch and a Failed Attempt at Culture (I Am Not a Museum Person). I chose a cafe called "Del Porto Ristorante." Reviews said it was "authentic Italian". I went for the pasta. It was so good! I’m not that much for museums, so I decided to skip them, and instead, went to the hotel to relax. A nap sounded like a good idea.
- 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Poolside Relaxation (Or, the Art of Doing Absolutely Nothing). I needed some down time. I went for a swim. The pool was clean, and the sun was warm. I found a chair, put on some sunscreen, and promptly did nothing for a solid two hours. Pure bliss.
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: The Eternal Gumbo Search Continues. I spent this time researching gumbo. I needed to find the perfect gumbo! I'm starting to think this will be my ultimate quest.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner: New Orleans Influence (or, Why I Should Always Trust the Locals). Local recommendations led me to a place called "Lola's." They sold seafood, and New Orleans favorites. It was all delicious. The atmosphere was amazing. The restaurant was crowded, but so worth it!
Day 3: Departure & Post-Trip Blues (And the Lingering Taste of Gumbo I Never Found!)
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast Buffet, Take Two. You know, the orange-ish eggs weren’t that bad. I’m starting to develop a Stockholm syndrome relationship with them.
- 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Last-Minute Pack (and the Quest for the Missing Travel Socks!). I still haven't found those darn socks. I’m pretty sure they’re hiding in the laundry room.
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Checkout, Farewell, and a Hint of Sadness. Time to go. I'm leaving with a full heart and an empty stomach. Despite the food disappointments, it's always hard to leave. I waved goodbye to the Residence Inn, already missing it a little.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: I'm driving back. I am considering a gumbo place on my way back, but, for now, I don’t have a gumbo. But I do have hope.
Post-Trip Thoughts:
Covington was… Covington. It was pleasant, it was comfortable, it was…missing amazing gumbo. I'll be back. I will find the gumbo. Just you wait.
And that, my friends, is the truth. Flaws and all. Embrace the chaos, and the messy magic of travel. Now, excuse me, I need to go Google "best gumbo north shore Louisiana."
Escape to Louisiana: Your Perfect Port Allen OYO Awaits!
Wait, Covington? Isn't that... *not* New Orleans?
Okay, straight up: you're right. Covington is across the lake. Think of it like this: New Orleans is the wild, crazy cousin who drinks too much and stays out all night. Covington is the sensible, yoga-loving cousin who gets up early and makes you a healthy breakfast. It's a *commute*. A drive. An *adventure* that can turn into a nightmare if you hit rush hour. Seriously, the Causeway Bridge sometimes feels like it's actively trying to swallow you. But hey, it's cheaper. And, my God, the prices in New Orleans... I nearly choked on my gumbo when I saw the hotel rates! So, Covington it is. Don't expect to be stumbling out of a bar at 3 AM and rolling into bed. Unless you really, *really* want a late-night Uber. (And a hefty bill.)
Is the Residence Inn actually... nice? Like, clean and comfy?
Mostly. Let's be honest, "nice" and "budget-friendly" rarely go hand-in-hand, you know? The rooms themselves are decently sized. I've seen worse. The bed? Acceptable. Not the cloud-like bliss of a five-star hotel, but you won't wake up feeling like you've been wrestling alligators. (Though, after a night in the French Quarter, you might *feel* like you have.) The bathrooms... well, they're functional. Spotlessly clean? Maybe not *always*. Let's just say I brought my own Clorox wipes, just in case. Because, you know, I'm a control freak like that. And, *oh my God*, the air conditioning. It's a lifesaver. Seriously. It's Louisiana. It's HOT. And the AC here? Glorious. Almost worth the price of admission. Almost.
Breakfast. Tell me about the breakfast. Is it the usual sad continental spread?
Ah, the breakfast. The *morning battleground*. Okay, it's *mostly* what you expect. The usual suspects: waffles (yay!), cereal (meh), yogurt (yawn), and the occasional scrambled eggs that taste vaguely… rubbery. But! They do have a waffle maker. And you can *make your own waffles*. Which is surprisingly satisfying at 7 AM, even if you are slightly sleep-deprived from the aforementioned French Quarter expedition (or the aforementioned toddler who slept in your room with you). I may or may not have accidentally put a *mountain* of syrup on my waffles one morning. Don’t judge. I was hangry. And desperate for happiness. The coffee? Potable. Not the gourmet stuff, but it gets the job done. And, you know, free is free. Just steer clear of the orange juice. It tastes… artificial. Like sunshine invented by a lab.
Is there a pool? And is it, like, a decent pool?
Yes, there is a pool. A small pool. Not Olympic-sized, obviously. But it's there. And during the summer months, it's a *godsend*. Especially after a day of schlepping around New Orleans in the humidity. Don't expect a resort vibe, though. It's more… functional. The chairs are plastic. The towels are… well, they're towels. I'd bring your own. And on the weekends? It's definitely crowded. Prepare to share your pool space (and possibly the lukewarm water) with a family of six and a screaming toddler. Welcome to the joy of budget travel, folks! But hey, at least it's water. And that, sometimes, is all you need.
Parking. Is parking easy down at the Residence Inn? And how much is it?
Ah, parking. The bane of any traveler's existence. Okay, so at the Residence Inn Covington? Surprisingly easy. It's free! Praise be! Now, getting *to* parking, and then the whole getting from the hotel to New Orleans... now that's a whole different story. The commute can be a beast. The traffic! Oh Lord, the traffic. Especially on a Friday afternoon. That Causeway Bridge? Expect to be staring at the back of a minivan for a *very* long time. Download some podcasts. Pack snacks. And make sure you've used the restroom before you leave. Because trust me, you *will* need them.
Tell me about the shuttle service to the city!
Shuttle service? HAHAHAHA! Oh, you sweet summer child. No, there is no shuttle service. You are on your own, my friend. You're going to need a car. Or a very, *very* generous friend with a car. Or, you know, taxis/Ubers. Which can get expensive real fast. So, factor that into your budget. You've been warned. The hotel is *in Covington*, which is a good 45 minutes away from the heart of New Orleans, not including the dreaded rush hour traffic. The causeway bridge? *Twice* the length of the Golden Gate. And with the occasional accident or construction? You're looking at a potential two-hour commute easy. Bring a good book. Or a therapist.
Okay, I'm *going* to go to New Orleans. What's it *really* like? Besides crazy and hot.
Okay, New Orleans. It's… a lot. It’s beautiful. It’s gritty. It’s chaotic. It’s magical. It's the city of jazz, of beignets, of voodoo shops and cemeteries that haunt your dreams. You can't possibly see everything or experience everything in a single trip. I wish I could capture its essence perfectly. Think of it like this: imagine stepping into a movie. The architecture is stunning. The food? Incredible. The music? Heart-stopping. The history? Well, it's a bit dark. The constant humidity, though? Will cling to you like a limpet. You'll sweat in places you didn't know you *could* sweat. You'll eat things that you've *never* eaten before. And you'll have stories. Oh, you'll have stories. Because in New Orleans, stories are *everything*. This makes the drive back to Covington all the more painful. Remember the drive back. And plan accordingly.


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable New Orleans Getaway: Residence Inn Covington!"