
Melrose Georgetown: DC's Hidden Gem Hotel (You NEED to See This!)
Melrose Georgetown: DC's Hidden Gem Hotel (You NEED to See This!) - A Review from Someone Who Actually Stayed (and Maybe Had Too Much Coffee)
Alright, folks, buckle up. This isn't your average, sterile hotel review. This is the real deal, the unfiltered, slightly-caffeinated take on the Melrose Georgetown, a place they claim is a hidden gem. Spoiler alert: they're kinda right. But, like, let's break this down, shall we? I’m still jittery from one of the best damn cups of coffee I’ve had in years (more on that later), and ready to spill.
First Impressions (and a Near Disaster with the Elevator)
The Melrose is tucked away, almost deliberately unassuming, just off M Street in Georgetown. Finding it felt like a little treasure hunt which is part of its charm. The initial vibe? Chic, understated elegance. Think less flash and more…well, let's say "refined comfort." The lobby isn’t screaming "look at me!", but more whispering "come in, relax."
Okay, so the accessibility… I'm not disabled, but I always look for it because, well, it's important. Wheelchair Accessible? YES! Elevators are available, the lobby is easy to navigate. But here's a quick anecdote. On my first trip to my room, got into the elevator, the doors slowly started to close, and then… nothing. Stuck. For about 30 seconds. I'm not claustrophobic, but in that moment, I was very aware of all the potential scenarios. Luckily, it kickstarted again right when I was about to press the emergency alarm. So, accessibility is there, but maybe, just maybe, give the elevator a once-over.
The Room: My Personal Oasis (and the Blackout Curtains are Divine)
Once I got to my room (after that little elevator escapade), I was pleasantly surprised. Seriously, the details are what set this place apart.
- Available in all rooms: Air conditioning (thank god!), Alarm clock (because, ugh, life), Bathrobes (yes!), Bathroom phone (for emergencies, maybe?), Bathtub (I love a good soak!), Blackout curtains (These are a godsend! I haven't slept this well in ages!), Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker (essential!), Complimentary tea (nice touch!), Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels (yawn), Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free] (Hallelujah!), Window that opens.
Okay, so maybe I did get a little too excited about the blackout curtains. They were truly amazing. Seriously, dark as pitch, which is essential for a tired soul. The bed was fantastically comfortable, the bathroom was spotless, and the complimentary toiletries were a step up from the usual generic stuff. The Wi-Fi [free] was a lifesaver for the work I was doing, and the laptop desk was actually usable, not a glorified coffee table. And I really enjoyed having my own Additional Toilet, so I didn't have to fight with anyone.
Internet and the Digital World:
- Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! The Wi-Fi was strong and reliable, both in my room and in the public areas. I could actually get some work done without pulling my hair out, which, as a business traveler, is a huge win. It’s quick, responsive, and never cut out on me.
Food, Glorious Food (and That Coffee!)
This is where the Melrose really shines, in the food department.
- Dining, drinking, and snacking: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
I had room service (24-hour, score!) one night. The burger was decent, nothing to write home about, but that coffee! The coffee in the restaurant was amazing, and that's where the day gets really good. The breakfast buffet, with Asian, International, and Western choices, was substantial. And the coffee… Did I mention the coffee? It was rich, bold, and perfectly brewed. Easily some of the best restaurant coffee I've had. I'm STILL thinking about it!
- Cleanliness and safety: Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment.
I also love that they've got their cleaning protocols down pat, since I’m obsessed about cleanliness. The place felt immaculately clean, and I saw staff constantly sanitizing everything. They didn't skimp on the hand sanitizer either!
Relaxing and Unwinding (or Trying To)
- Things to do, ways to relax: Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor].
Didn't have time for a full-on spa day, but I did scope out the gym. It’s small but well-equipped. They also looked to have a spa with sauna and steamroom, and an outdoor pool. It was lovely. I’m kicking myself for not fitting in a massage! Next time.
For the Kids (and Secretly the Big Kids Too)
- For the kids: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal.
While I don't have kids, I noticed there were Family/child friendly facilities, so families are welcome.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter (and the Concierge is Amazing)
- Services and conveniences : Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.
The concierge was an absolute lifesaver, helping me with dinner reservations and directions. Contactless check-in/out was a breeze. I appreciated the daily housekeeping too.
Safety and Security: Feeling Safe and Sound
- Access: CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms.
I felt secure and that the front desk was 24-hour, the security measures were reassuring without being intrusive. The non-smoking rooms were a huge plus for me.
Getting Around: Conveniently Located (and I Walked Everywhere)
- Getting around: Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.
Georgetown is super walkable, so I didn’t use Uber all the time. But it’s easy to get a cab or use ride-sharing services. They also offer airport transfer which is handy.
The Verdict: Is This a Hidden Gem?
Look, the Melrose Georgetown isn't perfect (that elevator incident), but it's damn close. The location is fantastic, the rooms are comfortable and stylish, and that coffee… Seriously. It's a place where you can actually relax
Escape to Paradise: Your Miami Homestead Courtyard Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your perfectly polished, AI-generated itinerary. This is me, in all my sleep-deprived, coffee-fueled glory, trying to navigate a fancy hotel in Washington D.C. Wish me luck, or, you know, just enjoy the ride. We're staying at the Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Sounded fancy, right? Let's see if it lives up to the hype…
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Panic (And Potential for Majestic Awesomeness)
1:00 PM - Arrival & Check-In (or, The Art of Pretending You Know What You're Doing):
- Okay, first impressions. The Melrose Georgetown… definitely has a lobby. A pretty swanky one, actually. Think polished marble, plush velvet, and that air of "wealthy people definitely live here." I nearly tripped over a decorative ottoman. Smooth start, me. Check-in was… fine. The guy at the desk was polite, but I swear he gave me a look when I fumbled for my credit card. (Maybe my travel-stained jeans gave me away.) The room key is cool though, a real key, proper key! Not just some flimsy plastic card. Now that's what I'm talking about! Though, it seems to be about the only thing so far that I'm actually talking about.
- Mental Note: Try not to look like a tourist, even though I am a tourist. Big fail on the first try.
- Emotional Reaction: A small wave of hope that maybe, just maybe, I won't embarrass myself too much. And a desperate need for coffee.
2:00 PM - Room Reconnaissance & The Great Closet Conundrum:
- Okay, the room itself. Not bad. A decent size, comfy-looking bed… and a closet. A closet. A huge closet. With more hangers than I have outfits suitable for a D.C. hotel. Seriously, I think I could get lost in here. I spent a solid five minutes just poking around and wondering what to do with the extra space. Should I do yoga? Hide from life? Build a tiny fort out of the fluffy bathrobe? The possibilities are overwhelming.
- Quirky Observation: There's a tiny, perfectly folded towel shaped like a swan on the bed. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or slightly terrified. Is this hotel judging my towel-folding skills? I'm too old for swan towels, I want a damn fluffy one!
- Emotional Reaction: Pure, unadulterated joy at the thought of finally being able to unpack my suitcase. Followed, almost immediately, by a crushing wave of "where do I even start?"
3:00 PM - The Urgent Coffee Situation & Georgetown Exploration (The Bit Where I Try to Be Cultured):
- Okay, coffee crisis averted (thank heavens for the in-room Keurig, even if it's not quite up to my preferred barista standards). Fuelled, I ventured out to explore Georgetown. The cobblestone streets are lovely, the boutiques are expensive, and the general vibe is "preppy, but with hidden depths."
- Anecdote: I saw a woman wearing a monocle. A monocle. In real life! I almost lost my mind. I wanted to ask her where she got it, what she does for a living, and whether she keeps a pet ferret. But, you know, social anxiety. Instead, I just awkwardly smiled and walked past, feeling like a total buffoon.
- Opinionated Language: Georgetown? Charming, yes. Overpriced? Absolutely. That said, I'm enjoying the shops and the charm of it all!
- Emotional Reaction: A weird mixture of awe, envy, and mild financial panic.
6:00 PM - Dinner at a "Recommended" Restaurant (and the inevitable disappointment):
- I, like a sucker, followed the guide's recommendation and… blergh. The restaurant was packed, loud, and the food was… okay. Edible, but nothing to write home about. I should have just gone for pizza. Next time.
- Messy Structure: I'm not even going to go into detail. Let's just say the waiter seemed to hate his job, and the bread was stale. I'm still annoyed.
- Emotional Reaction: A deep sense of culinary betrayal. And a newfound appreciation for takeout.
8:00 PM - Brief Return to the Room & Attempted Relaxation (Spoiler: Failed):
- Back to the room to unwind. I wanted to soak in the tub (beautiful tub, by the way). Except, the water pressure was abysmal. So, instead, I went for a nap. Wake up an hour later, and it's not even 9pm! Am I getting old?
- Rambling: Actually, what’s wrong with the water pressure? I'm sure this hotel can afford good water pressure. Or maybe I just did something wrong, there's a setting? I don't know I might be completely stupid.
- Emotional Reaction: Mild frustration, followed by a wave of resignation.
Day 2: Museums, Monuments, and the Search for Real Coffee
9:00 AM - The Breakfast Debacle (and a Moment of Pure, Unadulterated Disgust):
- Okay, the hotel breakfast. I figured, this is it! This is where the Melrose would shine. Nope. The scrambled eggs tasted suspiciously like they came from a carton. The coffee, again, was weak. There were pastries, though. Too good pastries. I had three. And now I feel guilty.
- Opinionated Language: The breakfast was a massive disappointment. Not worth the price.
- Emotional Reaction: A combination of disappointment, self-loathing, and a vague feeling of impending sugar crash.
10:00 AM - Museum Hopping (with a Touch of Existential Dread):
- I decided to brave the Smithsonian. Crowds, crowds, crowds. The National Air and Space Museum was… crowded. But it was impressive, and I did get to sit in a real-life space capsule! But like… so many people.
- Anecdote: At the Natural History Museum, I found myself face-to-face with a giant dinosaur skeleton. I swear, it blinked. Or maybe that was just the caffeine withdrawal.
- Quirky Observation: Museums are a great place to people-watch. You see all sorts: gaggles of school children, couples bickering, tourists taking selfies with everything… It's a fascinating, and often chaotic, spectacle.
- Emotional Reaction: A weird mix of wonder, awe, and the nagging feeling that I'm not cultured enough to truly appreciate any of it.
1:00 PM - Lunch in the Smithsonian (and another culinary tragedy):
- I opted for the museum cafe, because convenience. I ordered a sandwich. It was… well, it was food.
- Messier Structure: Yeah no. I'm done with this. I'm starving and the sandwiches are bland.
- Emotional Reaction: My stomach grumbled. At least it wasn't as bad as the hotel breakfast.
2:00 PM - Monuments & Memorials (or, the Bit Where I Pretend to Be Deep):
- Walked the Mall, saw the monuments. They're impressive, especially the Lincoln Memorial. I did feel a pang of something, some sort of historical understanding.
- Opinionated Language: They're all very impressive. But, honestly, I was more focused on finding a decent coffee shop. Still.
- Emotional Reaction: A fleeting sense of awe, quickly replaced by the urge for caffeine and a comfy seat.
5:00 PM - The Search for Real Coffee (A Quest for Survival):
- Hours of wandering, begging, pleading. Finally, found a local coffee shop. Heavenly! Strong, bold, the way coffee is meant to be.
- Doubling Down on Experience: I want to live in that coffee shop. I need that coffee shop. Seriously, I might camp out here all night.
- Emotional Reaction: Utter, unadulterated bliss.
7:00 PM - Dinner (The Redeeming Experience!):
- I ditched the guide the restaurant this time and found a little Italian place. Pasta, wine, the works. And it was delicious. Seriously, the best meal I’ve had in days!
- Stronger Emotional Reactions: The restaurant truly was great! It was a taste sensation!
- Opinionated Language: If you're looking for good food, you should definitely go here!
- Emotional Reaction: Pure happiness, and hope.
9:00 PM - Room Time & Planning for Departure:
- Back in the room. Packing. Sigh. The swan

Melrose Georgetown: DC's Hidden Gem Hotel (You NEED to See This!) - FAQs That Aren't Afraid to Be Real
Okay, Seriously, Is the Melrose Georgetown REALLY a "hidden gem"? Because I've seen those claims... a lot.
Alright, let's be honest. "Hidden gem" is thrown around like confetti these days. But, yeah, with the Melrose, I genuinely felt like I stumbled onto something *special*. It's not plastered all over Instagram like some other places. It's got this… old-school elegance. I’m talking actual chandeliers, not just strategically placed Edison bulbs. Honestly, I was half expecting to bump into Cary Grant sipping a martini. It’s not perfect, mind you, but the vibe? Absolutely it's worth it. I almost don’t wanna share this secret because I’m already worried about price increases! I should shut up.
What's the deal with the location? Georgetown… is that a pain to get around?
Geography, eh? Listen, Georgetown is… Georgetown. Think cobblestone streets, high-end boutiques, and people who look like they just stepped out of a Ralph Lauren ad (seriously, the *perfection*!). The Melrose is smack-dab in the heart of it. Super walkable, which is great for exploring Georgetown itself & the waterfront. Getting to other parts of DC? Okay, that *can* be a bit of a thing. Taxis are easy to find, but sometimes the traffic is… well, Washington traffic. Uber/Lyft are your friends. The Metro isn’t *right* there, but it’s a manageable walk or quick ride. Think of it as a trade-off: the charm of Georgetown for a *slightly* more difficult commute. Worth it. Totally worth it.
Let's talk rooms. What's the vibe? Small? Dated? Or… actually nice?
Okay, this is where the imperfection sneaks in. The rooms aren’t *huge*. Let's be real. I didn’t need to do a marathon in there, but if you’re used to sprawling suites, manage your expectations. But they're beautifully decorated! The décor is classic-chic. Think plush fabrics, tasteful artwork, and (yes) a proper desk. Which, by the way, is a godsend if you're trying to get some work done (or, you know, avoid work like I do). My first room had a slightly wonky showerhead. Seriously. It refused to cooperate with anything but a gentle stream. I almost cried (I was tired, okay?). But the staff fixed it immediately, and the next room? Bliss! I can’t stress this enough! And a comfy bed? YES. Absolutely yes. I could practically feel my stress melting away.
The Restaurant, The Grill Room… what's the food like, and is it worth it?
Okay, The Grill Room. This is where the Melrose REALLY shines. Breakfast? Get the pancakes. Just trust me. They're fluffy, they're buttery, they're an absolute *sin*. Lunch and dinner are equally amazing. I had the best burger of my life there. No, seriously. I’m not exaggerating. And the ambiance? Classic. Elegant. Old-school in the very best way. It’s the kind of place that makes you actually *want* to dress up a little, which is a rare treat these days. I'm not even a "dress up" person, but I happily put on a nice outfit. It really is that good. And the service? Impeccable, but not stuffy. They remember your name, which is a nice touch – even for a cynical New Yorker like myself. I spent a very delightful evening there!
Okay, spill. Anything *bad* about the Melrose? Because nothing's perfect, right?
Alright, alright. Nothing’s perfect. The price? It’s not cheap. But, considering the location, the service, and the overall experience, I thought it was worth the splurge. You’re paying for an experience, not just a room. Sometimes the elevators were a little slow, which, in the grand scheme of things, is a *minor* annoyance. Parking in Georgetown can be… a challenge, like everywhere in DC. Take that into consideration, and be prepared to pay. And I mentioned the showerhead… that first one. But honestly, the problems were few and far between. And honestly, even the wonky showerhead story, became a funny anecdote. I would come back in a heartbeat.
Is it good for… families? Or more of a romantic getaway kind of place?
Hmm, good question. While the Melrose is great for families, it *really* feels like a romantic getaway kind of hotel. I'd picture it for a special occasion. The vibe is just right for a couples trip. However, I definitely spotted some families there and they seemed to be having a fantastic time. So, it's not *excluded*, but consider whether you want to be surrounded by honeymooning couples or not. Your call!
Alright, bottom line. Should I book it?
YES. Absolutely, unequivocally YES. If you want a hotel that's got a little bit of everything: charm, style, great food, and genuinely good service, then book it. I'm already plotting my return. Seriously. Just go. You won’t regret it. Okay, maybe you will if the prices go up because I told you about it. But hey. At least you’ll have a good story to tell. And you can thank me later. Or buy me a pancake.
Tell me more about the staff! Friendliness? Helpfulness?
Okay, the staff. This is a *huge* part of what makes the Melrose special. They're not just professionally polite; they're genuinely *friendly*. I'm terrible with names, but they were ALWAYS around when I needed them, always with a smile and willing to go the extra mile. I had a slight issue with the alarm (my fault, completely my fault, mind you - jetlag is a beast) and the front desk sent someone up immediately, with absolutely no judgment. They were just super patient and helpful. It's that kind of attention that makes you feel like you’re a valued *guest*, not just a room number. Seriously, they're the sort of people who make you want to tip *way* more than you budgeted for.
What about the gym or other amenities?
Okay, the gym. It's there. It'Serene Getaways


Post a Comment for "Melrose Georgetown: DC's Hidden Gem Hotel (You NEED to See This!)"